Monday, September 13, 2010

Stoked

The excitement and sense of nervousness are palpable as we make last preparations for the journey. The specifics have changed a bit since the beginning, but the goal remains the same: to see what is out there, and what it may possibly hold for us. To prove to ourselves that we are capable of planning and executing such a journey. To grow in relationship with one another, ourselves, and God. And to find at least some clues as to what it is that drives us to undertake such a voyage, such an adventure, such a quest. Call it what you want, it shall begin this Wednesday and we will be ready come what may. The first leg of the journey will take us across the United States as outlined on the map in an earlier post. After this we move on to Hawaii and then to New Zealand to seek work, a place to stay, and regroup for the next leg.

There is still a great degree of uncertainty in what we are doing, but we go with the love and support of you all, and so for this we thank you, and with you we know that we can accomplish what we have set out to do.

Thanks to the students at Barbour School who listened so intently to our itinerary, and thanks in advance to the students of St. Peter's Cathedral School who will listen in the morning. It is a great honor and pleasure to share our adventure with you, and we hope that you will come along with us, through photos and videos and email correspondence. Should you like to correspond personally by email, let me know in a comment on here and I will send you our email directly.

I want to close by asking you all to pray for us as we move forward on this journey. We know not how long it will take, and have a rough idea of where we are going. And the glory and fear come from knowing that we do not know, and we cannot know, and we do not want to know, but rather set out to see what we can see and learn what we can learn. Was it not so long ago that Jim Bridger and the mountain men set out to do the same? They would cross the entire continent, forge off into the unknown without a second thought, and yet the modern day tells us that these are things of the past, that there is no longer anything to be gained from such feats and adventures. We want to embrace the fear, the uncertainty, the unknown, and see what it has to teach us. May the Lord bless us as we go.

2 comments:

  1. Tim, Daniel and Mike --

    Here is one of my FAVORITE Thomas Merton quotes!!!! I think it appropriately fits as you begin this awesome journey!!!

    MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone." - from "Thoughts in Solitude" and “The Road Ahead” both by Thomas Merton

    And, needless to say, YES, I'd like your email address to write personal messages and share encouragement toward all of you!

    Carpe diem! Seize the Day!!!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kris! We love this quote, and definitely think that it captures a good portion of our journey. For the time being, cannot wait to get out of the states and see what the international segment has in store! God bless and keep you and thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete