Friday, January 14, 2011

Fiji, part 3





Above, top to bottom: on the Westin resort overlooking the bay, and at the chapel; the famous "Christmas tree" of Fiji blooms bright red flowers and is all over the island; My flight on New Zealand air from Nadi to Auckland might have been the best flight I have ever taken, fantastic airline including touch screen enterntainment, a food ordering system and hundreds of music, movies and TV shows to choose; my friend Feros at the coffee shop in Nadi was wonderful to me and helped me find a ride back to the airport.


Full Gallery on Flickr


It's really not that hard to sneak into a resort on your layover. It's the $25 for sunscreen I find difficult.
Strolling through the Westin Resort in Denarau port on Viti Levu Island in Fiji, I'm popping up my polo collar and donning my aviator sunglasses, Guinness sandals and swimsuit to do my best tourist stroll. As pasty white as I am, most people assume I am fresh off the plane and looking for something strong to drink.

Baggage check with security? Sure.
Do you have a room? No, but I'm going to the airport later.
Here's your baggage tag. Great.
Do you have a towel for an unregistered guest? Yeah, why not?

Twenty-four hours ago I was standing in a few feet of snow in Chicago, and now I've found an empty beach chair, a cold, complimentary bottle of water, and an umbrella looking lonely. What will I do until my flight leaves six hours from now?

No comments:

Post a Comment